Saturday, November 17, 2007

"Overheard In New York"

Today's topic of discussion is a fellow bloggers site "Overheard in New York ", which is often a good place to spend a few minutes of time if you are looking for some entertainment value.

It's a rather simple concept actually, where people send in notes of snippets of conversations they have overheard. Those can range from the profound to the profane - and sometimes both at exactly the same time.

Having been to New York once for the weekend, I still have distinct memories of just how wonderfully unique New Yorkers really are, when it comes to the way the express themselves. That, and the fact they aren't afraid to let the world know it.

If you check out this blog, you'll see this pretty clearly illustrated. It's like some Magic Eight Ball/Zen showroom exhibition of the human condition.

Some examples:


Really More of a Coat Hanger

Fashion suit: Please, help yourself to some breakfast.
Fashion editor-type: No, thanks, I'm not really a food-person.

--Fashion event, Midtown


Many New Yorkers Are So Rude They're Not Allowed to Travel

Tourist dad with family, bumping into another tourist family: Excuse us! Thank you!
Other family's tourist dad: Ugh! Rude New Yorkers!
Nearby cop, to both: You do realize you're both tourists, right?

--48th & 5th


No! Wait, Now I Have to Start Over.

Rambling six-year-old: ... And when she came home, there was a body, and blood was everywhere 'cause he didn't clean up after he murdered someone, and that's when she realized--
Bored mom playing with cell: --That her husband was a slob?

--2 train


Frantic woman: Please help me! I need double-stick tape and a whistle!

--K-Mart, 34th St


I Wouldn't Mind Giving Her a Shot of Syllogism Myself

Dude #1: Dude, that girl is looking at you like a fat girl looks at cake.
Dude #2: She is a fat girl.
Dude #1: Fine. She is looking at you like you are cake.


But, Most Importantly, I Bought an IPhone

Guy #1: I haven't seen you in a while. What have you been up to?
Guy #2: Well, I'm in the process of switching web hosts, and it's going to be saving me a few bucks a month. I just need to decide what Linux distribution to use. What about you?
Guy #1: I got married and we had a baby.
Guy #2: That's cool.

--Office, Midtown


Wait... a Squirrel?

Drunk guy: You know, in my next life time I want to be either reincarnated into a squirrel or into a tiny Mexican.
Drunk girl: What?! Why a tiny Mexican? Why not a tiny Asian or Caucasian?
Drunk guy: 'Cause tiny Mexicans are awesome! They're always funny, fit into small places, they work their asses off, and I can grow a cool mustache and get away with it! Why wouldn't you want to be a tiny Mexican?!

--53rd & 9th


Conductor: Ladies and gentlemen, I don't really care if we pull up to the station and your car door doesn't open. If you don't listen, I don't really care. Not my problem anymore, folks! I said it once and I ain't saying it again!

--LIRR, Jamaica station


Girl: We should spend less money on the war in Iraq and use it to help countries like Africa.

--Principles of Economics lecture, Columbia University


African man to African woman: I told you when you came to this country that you can't touch old people, you can't touch children, and you can't touch animals.

--Central Park, near W 63rd St entrance


Sad girl to friend: I'd feel better if I just had lemurs to talk to.

--Washington Square Park





Anyway, you get the idea by now....

Enjoy.

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us